Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wonderful Weekend in Tally

This past weekend I traveled up to Tallahassee to watch the UM/FSU game. I left home on Friday to go to my sister's house in Melbourne, and then Saturday morning we all drove up to Tally. After we got there and checked into the hotel we went for a tour of FSU's campus, since my sister, her husband, and their friend that was with us have all graduated from there. have to admit, it truly is a beautiful campus. All the buildings are brick and a lot of them are being redone. The three alumni were complaining that the new FSU students were spoiled because there is now a Chili's on campus. We got some good pictures, climbed in a few fountains, and just had a great time. Later that night we went to one of their friend's homes and played Rock Band until 1 or 2 in the morning. We also found out that in college town Papa Johns delivers until 4 (though we ordered around 12 - preggo was craving pizza).

The next day we all went to Tom Brown Park, which, again, is absolutely beautiful. We had a BBQ there, and after we all ate the boys went to play frisbee golf and the three girls headed off in the woods to go on a hike. I was thinking that it would be just a simple little thing - I was wrong. My sister chose the "more difficult" trail for us to go on, so there were times when the trail was so steep that we literally had to crawl our way up. We went for 3 hours (just shy of 4 miles) and then found out why it was called Cadillac Trail. In the middle of this forest, where the trails themselves are rather close, were rusted old car parts. Now, I know that it's "Cadillac" trail, but my sister and I swear that one of the old cars was a Ford Fairlane. It was just unbelievable. Oh, yeah, we also got a little scare when a HUGE snake crossed our path - ah, nature. We went out to dinner that night and then the boys went out to play pool while my sister and I slept.


Monday - Game Day!!! The four of us went out to breakfast, and my sister kept singing; "one of these things is not like the other" - the odd one being me dressed in all my Canes gear while they were in the Garnet & Gold. We had some time to kill before we were allowed in the parking garage to tailgate, so we walked around campus again and got some munchies at Chili's. Then there was the usual tailgating fun, and finally the big game!




Oh...my...God! That was the best football game I have ever seen! Talk about being on the edge of your seat! They must have exchanged the lead 5 or 6 times, they were tied, then the Canes scored and at the last second the Noles tried to get a touchdown but the pass was ruled incomplete, but of course the Noles had to review that, so here we were, the entire stadium still packed and eerily quiet, while we waited to hear the news... "The call on the field stands..." The Hurricanes Won!!! WooHoo!!! It was so amazing, I almost cried! I won my bets!

We came home on Tuesday after grabbing a bit to eat at a bagel joint. We got to my sister's house around 3:30, so I had enough time to get to class, assuming there wouldn't be traffic. I hit a little bit of a slow down, but nothing major. Then, just as I get to my exit, my car started to overheat. So I went home instead of going to class and spent some time with my kid (I missed her so much!). Then I had to sneak out again to make it to school. Again, my car started overheating, and I couldn't find a spot. I ended up parking across the campus, going in through an exit only spot so that my car wouldn't break down on me. (It was completely out of water). At that point I was exhausted, my muscles were still sore from the hike, I was hungry, stressed about my car, and missing my baby. I was on the verge of tears, but I sucked it up and did the school thing.
It was really a great little vacation, it just sucks to be back.

2 comments:

  1. Big sis is doing great. She flew out to Pennsylvania last Friday (yes, 9/11, she wasn't too thrilled about it),and had to deal with a lot of airsickness, but aside from that and being tired most of the time, she's doing good. Dr. says that if she does well during pragnancy and is seizure free than she can try for a natural birth instead of c-section.

    ReplyDelete