Friday, December 11, 2009

Trial Update

I spoke with the state attorney handling my case last night. He gave me an overview of how things are going. The judge wasn't able to get to J yesterday so he goes in today for the calendar call. The SA said that the trial might be next week, but it depends on the defense attorney, apparently his kid is sick, something like that.

The defense has been asking about a plea, so we discussed it yesterday and I said my ideal plea would be 1 year + 1 day (that'd be prison), plus 2 years probation, drug and anger counseling. He told me that the defense plans on calling up the original deputy that responded because he said he didn't see anything wrong. Mind you, this deputy ended up under investigation because he didn't do his job that day - didn't even do the paperwork properly. Then he said that the deputy is currently on sick leave so he might not even be at court. The other officers and detectives would be called up by prosecution and they would help my case. I also found out that the ATM surveillance was apparently malfunctioning that day, so there's no video of the robbery, just the receipt and my word against his. The pictures aren't too clear showing the bruises, so I'm in semi-panic mode right now. I told him that if they wanted to try to talk the plea down, I'll accept 6 months plus 3 years probation and counseling. I'd rather him get something than nothing. He did tell me that if he's found guilty his is facing a very long time in prison.

I'm waiting for him to call me back and let me know when the date will be, and he said he'll call me a few hours before I need to appear so that I'm not sitting around for hours. They would need to do jury selection and everything first, and he doesn't even know if I'd be called to testify the first day. I really hope that J accepts the first plea bargain, but if he doesn't, I'll have no problem testifying against him.

2 comments:

  1. tell the fuckers to do their god damm job! Also make it clear that you are excited to give testimony, and look forward to your day in court. That will rattle his cage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't have to go to trial and can work out a plea. You just never know what's going to happen in a trial, and it seems like he's not a threat as long as he stays clean. I'm really glad to hear that your pushing the counseling, which may get overlooked if he goes to trial.

    ReplyDelete