Monday, November 30, 2009

Dr. Roo - has a nice ring to it...

I've decided I want to be a doctor. I've been toying with the idea for years. At first I wanted to be a medical examiner, then a pediatrician, an obstetrician, and then I decided on psychologist.

I've been thinking about my future a lot lately, and when I picture myself working, it's in a white coat in a hospital, dealing with the psychiatric patients. So, I decided that I want to be a psychiatrist instead of just a psychologist (psychiatrists get to prescribe meds). I've been looking into it and I'm thinking about going to USF for med school. The first few years cover basic medical knowledge, and then you go into your specialty. This means that if I decide I want to be a surgeon or whatever during those first two years, I wouldn't have wasted my time. It's going to be expensive, but worth it.

So now I need to make sure I truly step up my game with my school work so that my transcripts are impressive. I also need to start saving up money because I'd have to move to Tampa and I won't be able to work while in the program - I'd have to survive on scholarships and loans. By the time I start med school Lo will be in elementary school, so I won't have to pay for day care, so that's a good thing. Man, so many things to think of. I just know that this is what I've always wanted, but I've been psyching myself out because it's pricey. Hmmm... better start saving now.

No comments:

Post a Comment