Friday, August 21, 2009

Mission Accomplished

I had my wonderful flex day yesterday (we get one work day off a month so the company can save money). I had initially planned on spending the day at the beach, but then I thought that there had to be a more productive way to spend my time. So I got up early and took the kid to school, got some Jamba Juice, and went to work on her bedroom.

My daughter has a TV in her room, and it sits on a cabinet that I try to keep her diapers and wipes in (I say try because she loves going in there and emptying it out; looks like a diaper factory exploded). We found out that on top of a cabinet is not a very safe place for a TV to be... we found this out when the TV nearly fell on my niece. There is a dresser on the other side of the room that has an opening specifically for a TV, but we haven't used it because of where the cables are located. Yesterday, I decided to change that.

I should mention that the dresser normally takes the strength of two grown men to move; it's big and bulky. I'm a tiny girl, but myself. I didn't plan this out too well. If anyone would have seen me, they would've just laughed. I was strong enough to shimmy it off of the wall just enough so that I could squeeze in between it and the wall. So here I was, back up against the dresser, hands and feet planted firmly on the wall, pushing, just hoping that the dresser would move... and it did. It worked! I was able to move it across the room and center it on the wall where the TV was. Feeling quite proud of myself I grabbed the TV and put it in the center... it didn't fit. The darn TV was longer than the opening was deep. Oy!

I decided to make it work. I drew an outline of the TV on the back of the dresser, got an exacto knife (the back is cardboard) and proceeded to cut. Didn't work. So I got a chisel and used that (if I knew where my dad's sawsall was, I would've used it). That worked, so I put the TV in again, and it didn't fit; I had made the opening too small. By this point I was quite frustrated, so I grabbed a hammer and knocked the crap out of the back "wall" of the unit. It took the back piece out of the center, but also un-nailed the other backings, so I just had to re-hammer that. Now the TV fits. WooHoo!

I then went through all of the clothes that were in the dresser and two adjoining cabinets. After seperating the ones that still fit the kid and the ones that were too small, I ended up with one drawer full of clothes, and three bags that are going to goodwill. It took me all day, but her room is now clean and organized.

Now to get to mine... that's a job for this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Those jobs are so rewarding. I'm jealous!!!

    I have a rule with my closet: every time I buy new clothes, I have to give away/ throw away as many items as I bought.

    Serves two purposes: 1)Keeps my closet from over-flowing and 2)Keeps me from over-shopping.

    :D

    ReplyDelete