Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tuesday Night...

Sociological Analysis: Survey of Methods

I was scared of this class. I read the syllabus and it was talking about group projects and statistics... I was not looking forward to it. Turns out, I don't have too much to worry about. The teacher is really cool, and there are many people in the class that have taken her before for different subjects. If they decided to take her again then she can't be that bad.

We're supposed to choose our groups next week, but I talked to the girl sitting next to me, since I overheard her talking to another girl about joining her group, and I'm in with them. She already knows what she wants to do the research on and I love her idea - Does religion deter crime? She's a criminology minor, (I'm a double major - criminology & sociology) so we should get along.

Now - on to the fun UPS stuff. My dad reviewed the tapes and UPS never even made an appearance close to our house. Well, at least I know no one stole my books, but it pisses me off because I paid an extra $20 to have those books overnighted, and now I have nothing. I have to go back to the place I bought them and hope that they have a good policy if the books get lost in the mail. If they aren't able to work with me then I'm out $200+ and I have to figure out a way to get my books. It's really quite frustrating.

Time to down my coffee and get to work. I have no class tonight so I get to catch up on my reading. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew...

4 comments:

  1. Honey, file a complaint with UPS. Tell them you have proof they never delivered your package and you want to be reimbursed.

    And I'm really interested in your group project: DOES religion deter crime? In theory you'd think it does, but people tend to only choose those elements of religion (and everything else) which get them what they want and they ignore the rest.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with EEE on this as well, file a complaint.

    On the group project that is a really interesting concept. I want to know what your research shows. Is it more specific religion based too, For instance, do you see a lower crime rate with areas that have a specific core religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. textbooks.com is doing the investigation, and if I don't have them by Friday they will send me more books. I will be filing a complaint with UPS since I did pay $20 extra. I don't want to go to textbooks.com about the money since this wasn't their fault. I already feel bad that they will be out 2 extra books, but that's what insurance is for.

    I really am interested in the religion thing as well. J said that he had found religion and he turned his life around, and he really did. He kept a job and was off drugs, he was doing great - it's just a shame it didn't last too long.

    I'm so happy I get to rest tonight. I have my cognition class tomorrow night so I'll find out then if I have another paper to write. It's gonna be tough doing the full time thing, but I don't want to take 10 years to get my bachelors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally getting around to reading your posts (sorry it took so long!) and I love your project idea! Are you going to stick with Western religions?

    I would love to read the paper when you are finished with it. I'm too lazy (busy?) to do my own research on the subject, but I would really like to hear the conclusions you come to and how you arrived at them (you = group).

    ReplyDelete