Friday, August 28, 2009

Thursday Night...

Cognitive Psychology. I love this class. The teacher is awesome. In what other class could you talk about Aristotle and Descartes and be riveted? It's a 3 hour class and I found myself bummed out when 10:00 rolled around. I am seriously so glad that I'm taking this class.

The teacher already told us that the tests were hard - he doesn't test on definitions or anything, but on the concepts, so there will be a lot of analogies and questions about finding what doesn't fit. He said as long as we show up, take the notes, and read the book we should be fine.

We'll also have to write "Thought Papers" in class. There's going to be 7 of them, and he's not going to tell us which days we'll be doing them. He said it's not to prove that we've been paying attention in class or anything, he just wants to know that we are able to think. Last night was our first though paper, and our question was - "How Smart Are We?". If we do all of the papers than we will end up with 8 extra points, which is great because if you average all B's on the tests then you'd end up with an A in the class. He said that it's positive reinforcement to get us to show up for class, then went on a tangent about he can't stand that some teachers, including other psychology teachers, take points away if you're absent. He's like - "These psychology teachers need to learn about what they're teaching - do they not remember Skinner? That's punishment and it doesn't work!" He's awesome.

We've also been told that in that classroom we are all Gator fans (boooo!). He's like, "What is it with you people coming in dressed in the Hurricanes clothes - YOU GO TO FAU!! Where's your Fighting Owls spirit???" He was making jokes about the different schools - the one I recently graduated from was BCC (Broward Community College) - but it was called "Beer Can College"; now it's just Broward College so the nickname's been changed to Booze College or something like that. FAU - Find Another University; then he's like, "What does UF stand for? National Champions!". Too funny.

As I'm sitting there, completely immersed in the lesson, I realized that this guy is a mixture of my ex, Chuck, and Jeff Dunham (ventriloquist - if you've never seen his act I suggest you go on YouTube or something and see bits of it - FUNNY! "Silence! I Kill You!" LOL), and he looks just like Greg Kinnear. I'm so gonna love my Thursday nights!

4 comments:

  1. Go Gators!

    I'm glad you enjoy your class. 7-10 pm seems like it would be hard time with a little one at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works out pretty well. I am able to get Lo her dinner and spend some time with her before I leave. My mom gets her in the bath, and if she's still awake when I get home then I can put her to bed.

    Go Canes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting semester all around.

    Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have good classes. Just started my class last night. 3 chapters and a quiz already. They don't start slow.

    ReplyDelete